A great new set of Internet data has released as we approach the end of 2012. The data and PPT is by Mary Meeker, a partner at Kleiner Perkins Caulfield and Byers.
Key Internet Data Statistics for 2012:
- 1) 2.4 billion Internet users worldwide, a number that’s still growing eight percent yearly.
- 2) There are 1.1 billion smartphone subscribers worldwide — but that’s still just 17 percent of the global cellphone market.
- 3) 29 percent of adults in the U.S. now own either a tablet or an e-reader.
- 4) Mobile devices now account for 13 percent of worldwide Internet traffic, up from 4 percent in 2010.
- 5) Mobile app and advertising revenue has grown at an annual rate of 129 percent since 2008, and now tops $19 billion.
- 6) Mobile traffic app Waze has been adding users faster than all GPS makers combined have sold personal navigation units, and it’s been that way since the beginning of 2012.